Monday, January 28, 2013

Shifting the Focus

Late last week I heard something by Timothy Keller that made me re-think my approach to my search for the God-sized dream for my life.  He referenced Romans 12, which is one of my favorite chapters in the Bible, but he put it in a way that I'd never considered.

Romans 12:2  Do not conform any longer to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind.  Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is - his good, pleasing and perfect will.

I've always focused on the first section of the verse regarding the conforming to the world - it sounds good and it keeps the control firmly where I like it ... in my hands.  But on Thursday I realized that I was looking for hope and direction in the wrong place.  The key and focus for my dream is in the middle of the verse.

(B)e transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God's will is ...

I've been going about finding my dream the wrong way ... my way.  Mr. Keller said that our job is to allow God to transform our minds, and then we won't have to wonder what the plan is - we will be able to know what it is.  My focus has been on ME - how am I going to define my dream?  When will God approve of my dream for how I will serve Him?  I've been thinking like God actually needs me to do anything for Him.  When all along it's been me needing Him to do everything for me.

 
I need to direct my energy, prayer, devotions, and walk to being transformed - on letting go of my ego and control and giving myself over to God.  Let Him do the molding and transforming and I won't have to wonder what my dream should be.  Instead of focusing on some vague dream in the future I need to focus on looking for the transformational opportunities in front of me today.  Growth does not happen in the future, but in the moments that are constantly passing before me.

I am such a fool.  My arrogance is astounding - that I would presume to think that the God of the universe would be waiting on me to come up with a dream that would somehow impact His kingdom in a way that only I could do.

Thank goodness He is a god of grace.  The more I learn about Him, the more I realize how very badly I need grace and how undeserving of it I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment