Thursday, February 7, 2013

Break the Box

In my last post, I noted that I was reading a book called The Evolution of Faith - I would not recommend this book to anyone who is not very certain in their faith.  There are some interesting ideas and concepts, but overall I would not recommend the book.  There are not many times where I say with some certainty that someone is in the wrong profession, but I have serious misgivings that the author of this book is a pastor, and my prayers go out to him and his congregation.  Just like I wouldn't trust a doctor who does not believe that study, practice, and staying current on medical research are important to his trade; I have trouble with a pastor who does not pray, refers to Jesus as a prophet, and dismisses most of the Bible as antiquated mythology.  I am all for being progressive and inclusive, but this seemed to go beyond a line that I am not willing to cross.  I do not claim any authority since there is only one true judge, but where this man's spiritual quest has taken him does not feel right to my heart.

With that said, I want to focus in on what I took as the overall (unintended) message from this book: we need to be very careful about the box we place around God.  Note that I didn't say that we should be careful about putting God in a box because I think we all do this.  Our perspective is trapped in time and space and our ability to grasp concepts only goes so far.  Instead, we need to be aware of the box that we create and understand that it is not God, but it is the limit of our ability to understand Him. 

God is bigger than we can imagine. 
        Infinite
              Omnipresent
                       Omniscient
                                Omnipowerful

These are all words that we can conceptually understand, but if you really try to make it into something concrete it slips through your fingers - it's like trying to grab a fist full of the ocean.


 
 
When Moses asked God who he was his answer was simple, and amazingly profound.

I AM.

It is when we take our time-trapped, finite, self-absorbed views of God and make them our own truth that we fall into trouble.  When I make God take on my priorities, my wishes, focus on my plan, and my life I am no longer worshiping God.  And a god of my own making is sure to let me down because it is of me.

I wish I had a quick fix secret to breaking the barriers of the God box.  In my life, it seems that the walls go up silently until suddenly my faith begins to feel a bit stagnant and I look around and notice that I've done it again.  In my prayers I try to acknowledge this and extend my prayer out to God as He knows Himself to be - not how I understand Him.  This simple phrase has helped me to keep my eyes out for the limits I place on God, and understand that they are by my own making.

I find peace in knowing that there is only one Truth.  My opinion of God is irrelevant.  He is as He understands himself to be.  He is I AM.

I will close tonight's post with the words from Paul's letter to the Ephesians:

Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever!  Amen

Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment