Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Measuring Success in Life

Then someone called from the crowd, "Teacher, please tell my brother to divide our father's estate with me."

Jesus replied, "Friend, who has made me a judge over you to decide such things as that?" Then he said, "Beware! Guard against every kind of greed.  Life is not measured by how much you own."

Then he told them a story, "A rich man had a fertile farm that produced fine crops.  He said to himself, 'What should I do? I don't have room for all my crops.' Then he said, 'I know! I'll tear down my barns and build bigger ones. Then I'll have room enough to store all of my wheat and other goods. And I'll sit back and say to myself, 'My friend, you have enough stored away for years to come.  Now take it easy! Eat, drink and be merry!"

"But God said to him, 'You fool! You will die this very night. Then who will get everything you worked for?'

"Yes, a person is a fool to store up earthly wealth but not have a rich relationship with God."

-- Luke 12:13-21


I recently listened to a sermon on this verse, and then today I came across it during my morning study.  I find that when I start to see a common message pop up in my life its because the Spirit is working on me.

I am not a man in pursuit of monetary wealth.  I am a realist, and I understand that I have not ventured into a profession that is going to allow me the luxuries that come with massive levels of money.  But, worldly riches are not always money - we pursue comfort, status, possessions .... there are idols all around us calling to us with their siren songs.  Jesus told the man to beware against every kind of greed, and that is much more difficult than watching out for the very minimal chance that I will get a Scrooge McDuck style swimming pool in my lifetime.

With that in mind, I asked myself the following two questions (to which I already knew the answer):

1. How much of my time and effort do I place into my own advancement?
2. Do I pray for God to use me for His plan, or do I pray for God to do my will for my own purpose?

I realize that my focus is very often on my life, my goals, my hopes.  I do my best to set up a target, and then try to convince God that its in both of our best interest for that target to be met as quickly as possible.  Enlisting God to be our life assistant is easy - often futile, but easy.

I pray for God to help me reach the feet of my idols, and I get frustrated when I find that He does not lead me there.  After all, earlier in Luke it says, Keep on asking and you will receive. So, when I ask and ask for something why doesn't it happen?  My guess is because what I want is not something that I need at this point.  What I need is what He is providing today, what I need is more of His Spirit, what I need is less of my will and more of His.

Many people say, "Who will show us better times?"
Let your face smile on us, Lord.
You have given me greater joy
than those who have abundant harvests of
grain and new wine.
In peace I will lie down and sleep
for you alone, O Lord, will keep me safe.
-- Psalm 4:6-8


I need to continually examine my motivations.  Am I submitting to God, or am I trying to submit him to me?  Am I saying "thy will be done?" or am I pushing him to say that to me?  Only one of these will ever lead to life.  The road to that life will most likely be full of discomfort, challenge, and even pain, but there is life at the end.

"The seed that fell among the thorns stands for those who hear, but as they go on their way they are choked by life's worries, riches and pleasure, and they do not mature.  But the seed on the good soil stands for those with a noble and good heart, who hear the word, retain it, and by persevering produce a crop." -- Luke 8:14-15

pureland japanese garden

The thorns of life's worries are easily the biggest threat in my life.  Concerns over work, money, and my circumstances make so much noise that I often focus completely on myself and lose focus on what matters.  I focus on the thorns, and then pray for God to use them for my good.  It seems so ridiculous when I type it out, but when I am in the moment of the crucible, it seems so easy.

God is not mine to use.  He bought me - not the other way around.  He paid my price, He made a way for me to be in communion with Him.  It is not because of anything that I have done or will ever do that I am able to run to Him when I am hurting.

My prayer today is that I will continually move from self-focused prayer to selfless prayer.  That my motivations would be for His will to be done, His life to manifest in mine, that my heart would submit to His will, and that my days would be lived in thankful service to the One who bought me at the greatest price.

No comments:

Post a Comment